Zippy Potato Soup
Serves: 6 cups
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups raw potato, diced
- 1½ cups SACO Mix’n Drink Instant Skim Milk
- 2 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cooked vegetables
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley*, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme*, chopped Salt-free seasonings of your choice
- In a large saucepan, coated with non-stick cooking spray, sauté onion over very low heat until tender.
- Add 2 cups water and potatoes.
- Cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- In medium mixing bowl combine Mix ‘n Drink, Buttermilk Blend and flour.
- Add remaining 2 cups water, stirring well.
- Add to potato mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Add vegetables (if using frozen, mixed vegetables, simmer before adding, just until done).
- Stir in parsley and thyme.
- Season lightly to taste with Vege-sal, Mrs. Dash, or other salt-free salt substitutes.
- Note: for a creamy, smooth soup, whirl pre-cooked vegetables in blender with ½ cup water before adding to soup.
- *When using dry herbs decrease amounts by half.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 144 Fat: 0g Saturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 27g Sugar: 11g Sodium: 169mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 5mg