Whole Wheat Bread
Serves: 2 loaves
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- 4½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 2¼ cups warm water
- In large mixing bowl combine yeast, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, SACO Buttermilk Blend, butter and molasses.
- Add very warm (120 - 130°F) tap water to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, gradually stir in remaining 3½ cups whole wheat flour, and enough of remaining white flour (1 to 2 cups) to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch down.
- Divide dough into two parts; mold into balls.
- Allow to rest, covered with inverted bowl, 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves.
- Place in two greased 8-inch loaf pans or two 9-inch loaf pans.
- Let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 129 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 6g Sugar: 4g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 6mg