Whole Wheat Bran Hamburger Buns
Serves: 1.5 dozen buns
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole bran cereal
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups warm water (120°-130°F)
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1½ Tbsp sesame seeds
- In large mixing bowl combine
- /2 cups all-purpose flour, cereal, yeast, sugar, salt and Buttermilk Blend.
- Add shortening and egg.
- Blend in warm water at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes on medium speed.
- By hand, stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour (1½ to 2 cups) to make a stiff dough.
- Knead on floured surface about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover, let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 4 parts.
- Divide each fourth into four pieces.
- Shape each piece into a smooth ball.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Flatten to 4-inch diameter.
- Let rise in warm place until almost doubled, about 20 minutes.
- In cup, whisk together egg white and 1 Tbsp water.
- Brush tops of buns.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets and cool.
- Make buns larger for steak sandwiches or smaller for snack buns.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 162 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 30g Sugar: 5g Sodium: 157mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 6g Cholesterol: 12mg