Toasted Tomato & Cheese Sandwich Soup
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 8 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup tomatoes with green chilies, chopped*
- ½ lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 slices bread, toasted and cubed
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic, and cook until soft, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in flour and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend; stirring until it bubbles. Gradually add ½ cup stock, about ¼ cup at a time, stirring constantly to incorporate each addition completely.
- Slowly add remaining 1½ cups of stock and water continuing to stir constantly.
- Add tomatoes and green chilies, return soup to a simmer, and then remove from heat.
- Stir in half the cheese until it melts into the liquid, and then stir in remaining.
- Serve topped with toasted cubes of bread and sprinkled cheese. *canned or fresh