The Original Strawberry Shortcake
Serves: 12 servings
- 6 cups strawberries, sliced and sugar 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 2 Tbsp granulated sugar ¾ tsp salt 1 Tbsp baking powder ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled ½ cup milk Unsalted butter, softened 1½ cups heavy cream, chilled 12 perfect strawberries, for garnish
- Clean and slice 6 cups of strawberries and sprinkle with sugar to taste.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Grease one cookie sheet.
- In large mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend together into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in the 4 Tbsp. butter until mixture resembles oats.
- Pour in milk and mix gently until dough is just blended.
- Roll dough out onto floured work surface to a thickness of ⅝-inch.
- Cut into 3-inch circles.
- Gather scraps, roll again and cut more rounds.
- Bake on prepared baking sheet until puffed and golden brown; about 10 minutes.
- Do not overbake.
- Cool biscuits slightly, split them, and spread with softened butter.
- Fill and top biscuit halves with berries and crown with whipped cream, garnishing each with a single, perfect berry.
- *May substitute like amounts of fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, nectarines, or plums.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 328 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 6g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 54g Sugar: 34g Sodium: 566mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 29mg