Saco Italian Pot Pie
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 Sweet or Mild Italian sausage
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 3 zucchini, sliced
- 2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Biscuit Topping
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 3 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- In skillet place Italian sausage and 2 Tbsp. olive oil until done.
- Cut into slices. Set aside.
- In Dutch oven heat remaining 2 Tbsp. of olive oil with garlic and basil.
- When hot, add zucchini and squash; sauté until soft.
- Add chopped onion and cook until tender.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- Add tomatoes.
- Keep stirring to avoid scorching,
- Add Italian sausage and tomato paste.
- Stir well until thickened.
- When cooked thoroughly remove from heat and pour into greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Prepare Biscuit Topping.
- Biscuit Topping
- Mix first five ingredients, cut in shortening with pastry blender.
- Pour in water and mix.
- Knead on a floured surface until workable.
- Roll out biscuit dough to slightly larger than baking dish.
- Cut into squares or rectangles and arrange to fit on top of baking dish.
- Place on top of pie filling.
- Brush top with melted butter and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 450°F for 10-12 minutes or until biscuit top is browned.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 425 Fat: 26g Saturated fat: 9g Trans fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 35g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 852mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 15g Cholesterol: 29mg
best domain name search tool