Saco Cocoa Fruit Cake with Buttery Cocoa Frosting
Serves: 16 servings
- 2 Tbsp butter-flavored shortening
- 14 Tbsp SACO Premium Cocoa, divided
- 3 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp apple pie spice
- ¾ cup honey
- 1¼ sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups pecans, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup cashews, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted sunflower nuts
- 4 cups diced fruits
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp SACO Premium Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract halved candied cherries for garnish
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a 10 inch tube pan with the butter-flavored shortening, then dust the pan with 2 Tbsp. Saco Premium Cocoa.
- In medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, remaining Cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spice; set aside In separate mixing bowl, with a rubber spatula, blend the honey, melted butter, eggs and sugar.
- Add the dry mixture to the honey mixture and blend until smooth.
- Fold in the nuts and fruits.
- Spoon batter into the prepared tube pan and rap the pan sharply on the counter a few times to level the batter.
- Bake for 1½ hours, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Take cake out of the pan and let cool to room temperature, right side up, on a wire rack.
- frosting (Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in Saco Cocoa and water, stirring until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Do not boil.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with wire whisk until blended.
- Frost cooled cake and garnish with candied cherries, if desired
Nutrition InformationCalories: 605 Fat: 28g Saturated fat: 8g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 87g Sugar: 46g Sodium: 173mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 58mg