Serves: 8 servings
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced and sweetened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup water
- Clean and slice strawberries.
- Sprinkle with sugar to taste.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Grease one 8-inch round layer cake pan.
- In large mixing bowl sift together flour, SACO Buttermilk Blend, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in shortening thoroughly until mixture resembles corn meal.
- Stir in water, just until blended.
- Pat into pan.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on cake rack.
- Split shortcake while still warm.
- Spread with butter.
- Fill and top with sweetened berries.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 173 Fat: 1g Saturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 36g Sugar: 9g Sodium: 376mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 3mg