Serves: 16 servings
- ⅓ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cups cake flour, sifted
- ½ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- 3 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan and then line the bottom with wax paper.
- Beat shortening with sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Combine with the shortening mixture and gradually stir in water.
- Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with fresh berries or split apart and fill with fruit pie filling and whipped cream.