Saco Cheese n’ Herb Biscuits
Serves: 16 biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp oregano flakes
- ¼ tsp powdered thyme
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup solid butter-flavored shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend, cheese, and herbs.
- Using pastry blender, cut shortening into mixture to form coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg and water and stir into dry mixture with fork until smooth.
- Turn out onto floured surface; knead lightly.
- Roll to ½ inch thick. Using floured biscuit cutter, cut into biscuits.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until well risen and browned. Cool on rack.
- Best served warm.