Saco Cardamon Shortcakes
Serves: 12 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 3¾ tsp baking powder
- 2¼ tsp ground cardamon
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into
- ½” pieces
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup cup water
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ Tbsp butter, melted Sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine first 7 ingredients; mix well.
- Add chilled butter and cut in until mixture resembles course meal.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Beat eggs and add enough water to make 9 ounces.
- Add vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients until dough binds together.
- Knead dough on floured surface, about 10 turns.
- Form into ball and flatten to 1 inch thick.
- Cut into wedges or shapes.
- Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on an ungreased sheet until just firm to touch.
- Before serving reheat at 350°F for about 5 minutes if desired or serve cold.