Saco Buttermilk Biscuits
Serves: 20 biscuits
- 3 cups flour
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 7 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1¼ cups water
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sift flour, Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is the texture of coarse meal.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in water; mix lightly with a fork, just until dry ingredients are moistened and dough holds together.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly two or three times, then roll out with a floured rolling pin to ½ inch thickness.
- Cut in rounds with a floured biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until biscuits are puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush tops of biscuits with melted butter.