Quick Whole Wheat Buttermilk Rolls
Serves: 2 dozen rolls
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1¾ cups warm water (120°-130°F)
- In large mixing bowl combine whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar, salt, Buttermilk Blend, baking soda and shortening; mix well.
- Add warm water to flour mixture.
- Blend on low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes on medium speed.
- By hand, gradually stir in enough of remaining flour (2 to 2½ cups) to make a firm dough.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled (about 20 minutes).
- Punch down.
- Divide dough into two balls.
- Shape each ball into a 12-inch rope and cut into 12 pieces.
- Form into balls.
- Place about ½ inch apart on greased cookie sheet or 15 x 10 jelly roll pan.
- Cover, let rise in warm place until almost doubled (about 20 minutes).
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from pan.
- Brush with butter, if desired.
- Cool on racks.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 135 Fat: 5g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 20g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 131mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 1mg