Potato Doughnuts (Yeast Type)
Serves: 3.5 dozen
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water (105-115°F)
- ⅓ cup instant potato granules
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1¾ cups very warm water (130-140°F)
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 5½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- In small cup dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In large mixing bowl combine potato granules, shortening, sugar, salt and very warm water.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add dissolved yeast and eggs.
- Blend in 2 cups flour, baking soda and Buttermilk Blend.
- Mix on low speed until blended.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- By hand, stir in enough remaining flour (3 to 4 cups) to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead until smooth and satiny (5 to 10 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch down.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Roll to ½-inch thickness (no less).
- Cut with 3-inch doughnut cutter.
- Place on lightly floured cookie sheet.
- Cover, let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Prepare Glaze.
- Fry doughnuts in deep hot fat (375°F) until golden brown.
- (Place doughnuts in fat by using a wide spatula and sliding doughnut gently into fat.)
- Dip hot doughnuts into glaze.
- Place on cooling racks until glaze is set.
- Glaze (In small mixing bowl stir together all ingredients until mixture resembles thick cream.
- Dip doughnuts as directed.