Pina-Colada Caramel Shortcake
Serves: 16 servings
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅔ cup coconut milk powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅔ cup water
- 3 Tbsp toffee bits
- ½ cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 16 oz pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease 8 inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Place dry ingredients into bowl of food processor, and pulse to combine.
- Add cold butter that has been cut into 8 pieces, and pulse till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg and water and with machine running, pour over flour mixture.
- Process only until dough forms.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan then remove and finish cooling on wire rack.
- Combine caramel ice cream topping and rum.
- Split shortcake horizontally into 2 layers. Spread caramel-rum mixture on bottom cake layer.
- Spoon drained pineapple on top.
- In medium mixing bowl beat together whipping cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Spread most of whipped cream mixture over pineapple, saving about ½ cup for garnish.
- Place shortcake top layer and garnish with dollops of whipped cream, sprinkled with toasted coconut.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 180 Fat: 6g Saturated fat: 4g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 29g Sugar: 9g Sodium: 272mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 19mg