Peach Shortcakes with Bourbon Brown Sugar Cream
Serves: 16 servings
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2½ Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into
- ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening, frozen and cut into
- ½ inch pieces
- ⅔ cup water, chilled
- 1 egg, separated
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1½ Tbsp bourbon
- Brown sugar peaches
- 3 lbs fresh peaches, prepared
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- shortcake (Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend in a medium bowl to blend. Add butter and shortening and rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Whisk chilled water and 1 egg to blend in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir until moist clumps form. Gather dough together; turn out onto floured work surface and knead gently just until dough holds together, about 5 turns (dough will be moist). Pat dough into 9 x 6 inch rectangle; cut into six 3 inch squares. Transfer squares to heavy ungreased baking sheet, spacing apart. Whisk egg white in small bowl until foamy. Add pecans and stir to blend. Spread pecan mixture over top of biscuits, dividing equally. Sprinkle squares with sugar. Bake biscuits until puffed and light golden, about 18 minutes. Cool biscuits for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, beat whipping cream, brown sugar and bourbon in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Using a serrated knife, cut warm biscuits horizontally in half.
- Place bottom half on each of 6 plates.
- Top with Brown Sugar Peaches.
- Spoon dollop of bourbon whipped cream on top of each shortcake, then cover with biscuit tops. Garnish each with dollop of bourbon whipped cream and 1 strawberry.
- Serve immediately.
- Brown Sugar Peaches
- Peel and pit the peaches.
- Slice lengthwise, then cut crosswise in half.
- Gently toss sliced peaches, brown sugar and lemon juice in large bowl to blend.
- Let stand at room temperature until juices form, tossing occasionally, about 2 hours.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 869 Fat: 48g Saturated fat: 18g Trans fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 103g Sugar: 57g Sodium: 613mg Fiber: 6g Protein: 11g Cholesterol: 88mg