Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies
Serves: 2 dozen cookies
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1¼ cups solid shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup water
- In medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, SACO Buttermilk Blend, and nutmeg.
- In large mixing bowl beat shortening for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla and lemon extract; beat well.
- Add flour mixture and water alternately to shortening mixture, beating until well-mixed.
- Divide in half.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours, or until easy to handle.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll dough to ½-inch thick.
- Cut into rounds with a 3-inch cookie cutter.
- Place 2½ inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until done.
- Remove and cool.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 250 Fat: 11g Saturated fat: 3g Trans fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 35g Sugar: 17g Sodium: 146mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 1mg