Serves: 2 loaves
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- 2½ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup honey or molasses
- 2 cups very warm water (120°-130°F)
- 1½ cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- In large mixing bowl combine yeast, salt, Buttermilk Blend and 2½ cups flour.
- Add shortening and honey.
- Add warm water and blend at low speed until moistened.
- Beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- By hand, stir in oatmeal and enough remaining flour (1½ to 2 cups) to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly-floured board, cover, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
- Cover, let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk (about 1 to 1½ hours).
- Punch down.
- Cover and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in 2 greased 8-inch loaf pans.
- Let rise until doubled (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 35 - 40 minutes, or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 109 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 20g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 189mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 1mg