Light Rye Bread
Serves: 2 loaves
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- 1 cup rye flour
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 cups very warm water (120°-130°F)
- In large mixing bowl combine yeast, rye flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, Buttermilk Blend, salt, sugar and shortening.
- Add warm water to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, gradually stir in enough of remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly-floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch down.
- Divide dough into two parts; mold into balls.
- Allow to rest, covered with inverted bowl 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves.
- Place in two greased 8-inch pans or two 9-inch pans.
- Let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 113 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 20g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 10mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 2mg