Idaho Potato Cake
Serves: 32 servings
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- ⅔ cup Idaho instant potato flakes
- ⅔ cup nuts
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Mix first eight ingredients (flour through nuts) together in large mixing bowl.
- Combine butter and water in small pan.
- Warm on stove, or microwave until butter is melted.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add this mixture to dry mix.
- Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- I converted this recipe from a family recipe using mashed potatoes to using dry potato flakes in order for it to be placed in a canning jar, which I was giving as Christmas gifts.
- When asked if I could convert it to a buttermilk recipe as well, I experimented with the Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend and have had rave reviews on this cake ever since.
- The first eight ingredients are layered in order in the jar and a card is attached with the instructions for mixing with the butter, water, eggs and vanilla.
- The nuts are optional as to personal preference.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 141 Fat: 6g Saturated fat: 4g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 20g Sugar: 13g Sodium: 98mg Fiber: 0g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 27mg