Honey Whole Wheat Bread
Serves: 2 loaves
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- 2¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 4-4 !/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2¼ cups warm water
- In large mixing bowl combine yeast, 1 cup whole wheat flour,1 cup all-purpose flour, salt, SACO Buttermilk Blend, butter and honey.
- Add very warm (120-130°F) tap water.
- Blend at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, gradually stir in remaining 1¾ cups whole wheat flour, and enough of remaining white flour (3 to 3½ cups) to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all sides.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until double in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch down.
- Divide dough into two parts.
- Mold into balls.
- Allow to rest, covered with inverted bowl, 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves.
- Place in two greased 8-inch loaf pans or two 9-inch loaf pans.
- Let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 128 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 24g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 238mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 6mg