Fudgy Buttermilk Cake
Serves: 32 servings
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- 1⅔ cups cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt (omit if potatoes have been salted)
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- ¼ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 3¼ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Allow butter and eggs to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grease and flour one 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add mashed potatoes, water, Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend, Saco Premium Cocoa, flour, soda and salt.
- Beat on low speed until combined, scrape sides of bowl.
- Beat on medium speed for 20 seconds more.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes then remove.
- Peel off wax paper. Cool thoroughly.
- On low heat melt butter; add cocoa, water and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend until bubbles appear. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes; add powdered sugar.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with buttermilk frosting.
- Top with second cake layer, frost sides and cake top.
- Top off cake with chocolate leaves or shavings made with Saco Chocolate Chunks.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 203 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 5g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 32g Sugar: 25g Sodium: 157mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 37mg