Serves: 16 servings
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- 5½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups very warm water (120°-130°F) Cornmeal
- In large mixing bowl thoroughly mix together yeast, Buttermilk Blend, sugar, baking soda, salt, shortening and 2 cups of flour.
- Gradually blend in warm water and beat on low speed until moistened.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- By hand, add enough remaining flour (2½ to 3½ cups) to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).
- Turn dough out onto well-floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Lightly roll about ½ inch thick.
- Cut into 3-inch rounds with floured cutter.
- Carefully place on cookie sheet that is lightly covered with cornmeal.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Heat griddle over medium heat (electric griddle 350°F).
- Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Carefully transfer muffins to griddle.
- Cook 7 to 10 minutes.
- Turn, cook additional 7 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, split horizontally with fork.
- Toast and serve with butter and jam.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 191 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 1g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 35g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 270mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 2mg