Crab Cake Chowder
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 slices lean bacon
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- ¼ cup green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red pepper, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tsp Old Bay seasoning
- Crab cakes
- 12 oz can fancy white crab meat, drained but liquid reserved
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup Japanese style bread crumbs
- ¼ cup shortening
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Remove and drain bacon.
- Leave 1 Tbsp Bacon fat in skillet and add onion and celery.
- Cook until slightly tender.
- In a stock pot, combine potatoes, peppers, stock, reserved liquid from crab meat and cooked vegetables.
- Heat over medium-high heat until potatoes are slightly tender.
- In a bowl combine the Saco Buttermilk Blend with the flour; add water, mix well.
- Add seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer.
- Crab Cakes
- In a medium bowl, mix together drained crab meat, egg, Saco Buttermilk Blend, mustard and seasoning.
- Stir in bread crumbs.
- Roll mixture into small bite-sized balls.
- Evenly brown crab meat balls in a large skillet with ¼ cup shortening.
- Shortly before serving, add crab cakes to chowder and heat thoroughly.
- Top chowder with crumbled bacon and serve.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 267 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 3g Trans fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 29g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 556mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 15g Cholesterol: 60mg