Country Baked Potato & Cheddar Soup
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, miced
- 6 baked potatoes, skinned and cubed
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp rubbed sage dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- shredded sharp cheddar crumbled bacon chopped scallions
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, saute onion and bacon until onion is caramelized and bacon starts to crisp; drain.
- Add garlic and briefly saute for 30 seconds more; add mixture to broth and reduce heat to simmer. Stir in all potatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend until smooth. Gradually add water.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened.
- Stir into potato mixture; add cream and cheese.
- Heat through (do not boil).
- Discard bay leaf.
- Serve hot in a bowl topped with garnish, if desired.
- Top bowl of soup with shredded sharp cheddar, crumbled bacon and chopped scallions.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 501 Fat: 30g Saturated fat: 18g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 43g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 1217mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 17g Cholesterol: 93mg