Cornmeal Berry Pockets
Serves: 16 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ⅔ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup cold butter in small cubes
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp finely shredded lime peel
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tsp cornstarch, divided
- ½ cup coconut flakes splash of rum
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 7 tsp lime juice
- 3 Tbsp almonds, roasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend, cornmeal, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in center of dough.
- Mix the water, egg and lime peel.
- Add to the well in dough and stir with a fork just until moistened.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tsp. cornstarch to coat; add to flour mixture with coconut and rum.
- Stir the flour blend 3 to 5 turns, just until berries are incorporated.
- Separate the dough into halves.
- Press one half into the pie pan.
- Toss the remaining berries with 1 tsp cornstarch and pile in center of the pan.
- Press the remaining dough over the top of berries.
- Bake 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- In a small bowl whisk lime juice into powdered sugar until drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle over warm pocket and sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 243 Fat: 6g Saturated fat: 4g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 45g Sugar: 21g Sodium: 183mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 22mg