Cool As A Cucumber Soup with Saco Buttermilk & Dill
Serves: 8 servings
- 3 lbs cucumbers, peeled
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 quart water
- ⅔ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup white onion, finely minced
- ½ lb fresh shrimp, peeled and cut into
- ½” pieces
- ½ cup razor red tomatoes
- ½ cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded & chopped pepper dill vinegar or red wine vinegar salt
- Using a small spoon, or a melon baller, scrape the seeds from the cucumbers.
- Cut into ½ “ pieces; toss the cucumbers with the salt and transfer to a colander set over a bowl. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Transfer the cucumbers to a blender or food processor, discarding all the exuded juices.
- Puree until smooth, pass through a food mill if desired.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and dill; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat.
- When the butter foams, add the white onion and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add shrimp and stir over medium heat, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then add to the reserved cucumber soup.
- Spread the shrimp and onion mixture on a plate to cool, then refrigerate.
- Chill the soup.
- To serve adjust the consistency of the soup with more buttermilk, if necessary.
- Season with vinegar, salt (added sparingly); and pepper to taste.
- Divide the shrimp between the chilled soup plates.
- Ladle the soup over the shrimp and garnish with red onions, chopped tomatoes and bits of dill strewn about.
- Note: Razor red onions are red onions sliced paper thin and then tossed with a pinch of sugar and enough lemon juice to coat them.
- Prepare 1 to 2 hours ahead and toss occasionally, until softened and pink.