Coffee Chocolate Turtle Cake
Serves: 16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chocolate-caramel coffee, hot brewed
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 cups pecans, chopped and toasted*
- Turtle Frosting
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2½ cups SACO Chocolate CHUNKS chocolate-caramel coffee, hot brewed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease three 8-inch round cake pans.
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, Buttermilk Blend, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda.
- In small mixing bowl whisk together egg, oil and water.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture, stirring until well-blended.
- Slowly stir in the hot coffee.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick tests done.
- Invert onto cooling racks.
- Allow to cool completely before assembling cake.
- To assemble, place one whole layer cake on serving plate, top side down.
- Spread top with ⅓ of Turtle Frosting.
- Drizzle with ⅓ cup caramel ice cream topping, allowing to drip down sides of cake.
- Crumble ½ cup chopped pecans over caramel.
- Repeat steps with next 2 layers, layering cakes right side up.
- Top cake with remaining ½ cup chopped nuts.
- *Pecan Preparation:
- Place 2 cups pecans on baking sheet.
- Placing in center of oven, toast pecans in preheated 350°F oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool on baking sheet.
- Turtle Frosting
- In medium saucepan combine sugar, milk and butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Place CHUNKS in a medium mixing bowl and pour hot mixture over top.
- Stir until smooth.
- Frosting will be fudge-like.
- Add enough hot flavored coffee to bring to spreading consistency.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 575 Fat: 30g Saturated fat: 8g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 79g Sugar: 53g Sodium: 477mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 6g Cholesterol: 15mg