Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Serves: 3 dozen cookies
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup Butter-flavored Crisco
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp hot water
- In a large bowl mix the powdered sugar, butter, Crisco, egg, vanilla and almond extract until creamy. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and sift together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix until smooth.
- Continue hand-stirring until the mixture is not very sticky.
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter top.
- Take one half of the dough and pat into a big circle.
- Place another piece of wax paper on top.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a flat ¼ inch thick piece, without letting any dough go outside the wax paper edges.
- Repeat this process with the second half of the cookie batter.
- Place the dough in wax paper pieces into your refrigerator on a flat shelf.
- Let it rest there for a couple hours or up to two days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and put on cutting board.
- Select your cookie cutters.
- Remove the top wax paper.
- Cut out shapes, placing the cutter very close to the previous cut.
- Lift the cutter and gently place the cookie dough piece on to the ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat this process until the baking tray is covered with raw cookies.
- Bake cookies about 1 inch apart for 7 to 8 minutes, until the cookies are puffy and not yet browning around the edge.
- Cool on sheet for 1 to 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- If cookies are too fragile, wait longer before moving them to the rack.
- Freeze cooled cookies until you are ready to frost them.
- In a medium size microwavable bowl heat the butter until melted.
- Remove and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in enough water to make a medium thick frosting.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- To apply to cookie, use a new artist’s paint brush and apply the glaze to the cookie as desired. Decorate as desired.
- Let glaze harden before eating or freezing.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 120 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 4g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 12g Sugar: 11g Sodium: 38mg Fiber: 0g Protein: 0g Cholesterol: 19mg