Cherry Almond Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Serves: 16 servings
- 1½ cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup butter, chilled and cut into chunks
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp almond flavoring
- Almond Sauce
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter spring form pan.
- In a saucepan bring cherries, ¼ cup water and almond extract to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and 2 tsp. water together; add to cherry mixture.
- Cook until it thickens and let cool.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend and ¾ cup sugar.
- Add butter and cut in with pastry blender.
- Set aside ½ cup of this mixture for later.
- To the remaining flour mixture add the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another small mixing bowl combine remaining ¾ cup water, vanilla and 1 egg until blended. Stir into flour mixture until incorporated.
- Spread batter in a buttered spring form pan.
- In another bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, remaining egg and almond extract until smooth. Spread over batter in pan mainly in center area.
- Gently spread cherry mixture over cream cheese.
- Stir sliced almonds into reserved flour mixture and sprinkle over cake.
- Bake until center barely jiggles, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool until warm to touch.
- Drizzle each piece with Almond Sauce just before serving.
- Almond Sauce
- Beat yolks, sugar, flour and cream until smooth.
- Bring to a boil in a double boiler; remove from heat.
- Stir in almond extract and butter.
- Chill before serving.
- Spoon over cake piece just before serving.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 362 Fat: 17g Saturated fat: 10g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 47g Sugar: 33g Sodium: 209mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 136mg