Serves: 16 servings
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup coconut extract
- ½ cup water
- Cream Filling
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut, toasted
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend and salt, set aside. Separate egg yolks and whites then in a medium bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add sugar and continue beating until fluffy.
- Beat in coconut extract and water until well blended.
- Gradually fold in flour mixture until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl - beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold beaten egg whites into shortcake mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake on center rack 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack about 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove sides of spring form pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Cream Filling
- In a medium bowl beat butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and extracts until light and creamy.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- When cake has completely cooled, remove cake from pan and place on a serving plate.
- Cut cake in half horizontally, using serrated knife, to make two layers.
- Carefully lift top half and set aside.
- Spread bottom layer of shortcake evenly with ¾ of cream filling.
- Top filling with toasted coconut.
- Place top half of shortcake on top of filling and evenly distribute remaining cream filling and whipped cream.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 214 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 6g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 27g Sugar: 17g Sodium: 190mg Fiber: 0g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 61mg