Chocolate Butter Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Serves: 16 servings
- 11 Tbsp SACO Premium Cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 eggs
- 2¼ tsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups cake flour, sifted
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9” cake pans.
- Line bottoms of pans with parchment (or waxed) paper that has also been greased and floured.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the Saco Premium Baking Cocoa and boiling water until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl lightly combine eggs, ¼ of the Cocoa mixture and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend.
- Add the butter and remaining cocoa mixture.
- Increase to medium speed and beat for 1½ minutes, scraping down sides.
- Gradually add the egg mixture in three batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and smooth with spatula.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- Loosen around the sides of cakes and invert onto greased wire racks.
- Frosting (Have a greased 2 cup glass measure near the range.
- In a bowl beat the yolks with an electric mixer until light in color.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar and corn syrup in a small non-stick pan; heat stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a rolling boil.
- Immediately, transfer the syrup to the glass measuring cup to stop the cooking.
- Using an electric hand held mixer, beat the syrup into the yolks in a steady stream.
- Don’t allow syrup to fall on the beaters or they will spin it onto the sides of the bowl.
- Continue this until the last of the syrup has been added, using a rubber spatula to remove the last of the syrup.
- Continue beating, mixture must be completely cold before adding butter.
- Gradually beat in butter and then add cooled chocolate.
- Place in an airtight bowl. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Rebeat to restore texture before frosting cake layers.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 574 Fat: 38g Saturated fat: 23g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 60g Sugar: 37g Sodium: 220mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 196mg