Serves: 8 servings
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup warm water (120-130°F)
- 1½ cups prepared pizza sauce
- 1½ pounds ground beef or sausage, browned
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup ripe olives, chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- In medium mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, salt, Buttermilk Blend, baking soda and shortening.
- Add warm water and mix by hand until blended.
- Gradually stir in remaining flour (1½ cups) to make a firm dough.
- Cover and allow to rest 15 minutes.
- Prepare toppings.
- Divide dough into two parts.
- Press into two greased 12 or 14-inch pizza pans or cookie sheets, using well-floured or greased fingers.
- Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pizza:
- Follow instructions for Buttermilk Pizza except reduce all-purpose flour to 1½ cups and add 1 cup whole wheat flour.
- Mix flours together.
- Divide Toppings in half.
- Spread dough with pizza sauce, then browned meat, green pepper, onion, ripe olives, and mushrooms (or you can choose your own favorite toppings).
- Top with mozzarella cheese, or your favorite cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until edges are crisp and light golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 693 Fat: 39g Saturated fat: 16g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 45g Sugar: 5g Sodium: 1918mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 38g Cholesterol: 82mg