Buttermilk Spice Doughnuts (Cake Type)
Serves: 1.5 dozen
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- In medium mixing bowl sift together flour, Buttermilk Blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl cream together granulated sugar and butter.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Alternately add flour mixture and water to sugar mixture, until well-blended.
- Using a pastry cloth and lightly-floured hands (not rolling pin), pat out dough ½ inch thick, using as little flour as possible to avoid sticking.
- Cut with doughnut cutter and let rest 15 minutes.
- In deep frying pan, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 375°F.
- Gently place doughnuts onto oil-coated spatula and slide them into oil.
- Turn over as they rise to surface.
- Deep fry until brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Place powdered sugar in paper bag.
- Add a few doughnuts at a time and shake to coat.