Southwest Corn Chowder
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red pepper
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 4 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ cup water
- 6 ears of corn, parboiled and cut off cob
- 4 cups water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2-3 links hot sausage, cooked and sliced hot pepper sauce
- Place onions, peppers and celery in stock pot.
- Add butter and saute vegetables until slightly tender Add salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in flour and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend; mix well.
- Slowly add water and mix while removed from heat.
- Return to heat and add corn kernels and water; heat until boiling and cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove 1 cup of hot soup and slowly mix with egg.
- Add egg mixture back to stock pot.
- Add sausage and cook 2 minutes longer, without bringing to a boil.
- Add hot pepper sauce to taste.
- To serve, garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, seasoned fried tortilla strips and sour cream.