Caramel Apple Pinwheel Shortcake
Serves: 8 servings
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 21 oz apple pie filling
- 16 oz caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup salted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually add enough water to form a soft dough, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, knead 4 or 5 times; roll dough to an 11 x 8 inch rectangle. Combine butter and brown sugar; spread evenly over dough.
- Roll up jellyroll fashion, starting at narrow edge.
- Pinch seams together; cut into 1 inch slices.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a separate bowl whip the cream and sugar together.
- Top pinwheels with apple pie filling, 2 Tbsp of caramel topping, whipping cream and chopped peanuts.