Serves: 16 servings
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup molasses
- 1 cup water Powdered sugar or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour one 9-inch square baking pan.
- In medium mixing bowl sift together the flour, Buttermilk Blend, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat together the shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients and water alternately, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix just until smooth.
- Do not overbeat.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until wooden toothpick tests done.
- Remove from pan and let cool on cake rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or serve with whipped cream.
- Whole Wheat Gingerbread:
- Substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Decrease sugar to ⅓ cup.
- Follow the rest of the Buttermilk Gingerbread recipe exactly.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 200 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 2g Trans fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 33g Sugar: 16g Sodium: 184mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 3g Cholesterol: 1mg