Buttermilk Clam Chowder
Serves: 4 servings
- ½ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb bacon
- 14 oz canned clam juice, divided
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ½ cup mashed potato flakes
- 3 cups canned, chopped clams (in juice)
- 3 medium white potatoes, diced
- 1 cup light cream
- ¼ tsp pepper Parsley flakes for garnish
- In a skillet, melt butter, add onions and bacon.
- Cook until onions are transparent and soft.
- Drain off fat.
- Puree bacon/onion mixture in blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a large soup pot.
- Pour ½ can clam juice over mixture, and the other half into blender with flour, Saco Buttermilk Blend and mashed potato flakes.
- Pulse until lump free.
- Add to bacon mixture in pan and mix well. Stir in clams, potatoes, cream and pepper.
- Cook until thickened, reduce heat & simmer on low until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 356 Saturated fat: 5g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 53g Sugar: 11g Sodium: 878mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 16g Cholesterol: 40mg