Braided Buttermilk Bread
Serves: 48 servings
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (105°-115°F)
- 6 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1½ cups water
- 3 eggs, set aside one yolk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour Poppy seeds
- Have all ingredients (except warm water) at room temperature.
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water and add a pinch of sugar.
- Do not stir.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine shortening, sugar, salt, Buttermilk Blend, water, eggs (reserving one yolk), and 3½ cups of the flour.
- Stir in the activated yeast and mix well.
- Add enough of remaining flour to make dough soft and easy to handle (dough should pull away from sides of bowl).
- For kneading, turn dough out onto lightly-floured board or counter top.
- Knead 5 to 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover and set dough in a warm place to rise.
- When dough has doubled in bulk (about 1½ hours), punch down and divide into 3 parts.
- Divide each part into 3 additional parts, rolling each piece into a long strand.
- Braid into 3 loaves, pinching strands together at each end of loaf.
- Place each braided loaf onto cookie sheet.
- In small cup mix reserved egg yolk with 1 Tbsp cold water and brush over the loaves.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Cover and set in warm place to rise until each loaf has doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Watch bread carefully.
- If bread is browning too fast, loosely cover with aluminum foil.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 87 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 15g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 105mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 1mg