Blossom Bonnet Cake
Serves: 16 servings
- 2 cups zucchini squash, unpeeled & sliced
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup SACO Premium Cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Cook squash in 3 Tbsp water for 8-10 minutes in a covered pan.
- Puree in blender with ¾ cup water.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the next 8 ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, add vanilla, sugar, oil and applesauce.
- Mix together and add dry ingredients and squash mixture alternately, beating well.
- Pour into well-greased angel food cake pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
- *The secret to this cake is the zucchini squash in it and you’d never know!
- Also, we have replaced ½ of the oil with unsweetened applesauce making it a healthier choice.