Buttermilk French Bread
Serves: 2 loaves
- 4¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
- 1¾ cups warm water (120°-130°F) Cornmeal
- In large mixing bowl combine 1¾ cups flour, yeast, Buttermilk Blend, sugar, salt and shortening. Add warm water to flour mixture and beat on low speed for ½ minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 more minutes on high speed.
- By hand, stir in enough remaining flour (2½ - 3 cups) to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly-floured board and knead 5 to 10 minutes, until smooth.
- Cover dough.
- Let rest 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 parts.
- To shape loaf, roll out 1 part with floured rolling pin to rectangle, about 13 x 5 inches long and ½-inch thick.
- Starting from long side, roll up as for jelly roll pan.
- Pinch edges and turn seam side down.
- Taper ends of loaf by shaping with hands.
- Repeat with remaining part.
- Place loaves a few inches apart on greased 15 inch baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Let rise in warm place until almost doubled (about 45 minutes).
- Make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes, ¼-inch deep, on top of each loaf.
- Brush tops with warm water just before baking. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on racks.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 82 Fat: 1g Saturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 16g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 187mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 1mg