Serves: 24 servings
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In large 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, baking soda, salt and Buttermilk Blend.
- Stir in water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 210°F on candy thermometer. Stir in butter and pecans.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture reaches 230°F (syrup will cling together but flatten out when dropped in cold water).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Beat with wooden spoon 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drop in mounds on waxed paper.
- Allow to cool.