Southwest Chicken Chowder
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 6 Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz corn, frozen
- 4 flour tortillas
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded Cilantro
- Cook the chicken in the olive oil and butter, in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Saute the vegetables.
- Add the flour and cook until browned.
- Add the Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend, water, chicken broth, cream and corn.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup in simmering, spray the tortillas with cooking spray, and warm individually on a skillet, leave them on long enough to be able to be shaped, do not let them crisp.
- Place the tortillas over a small bowl and shape into the bowl shape.
- Bake the tortillas in a 400°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Serve the soup in the tortilla bowl.
- Top with shredded cheese and cilantro.