Saco Green Chili Pig in a Biscuit
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3½ Tbsp SACO Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ¼ cup mayonaise
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded & divided
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 whole mild green chili peppers
- 6 links pre-cooked sausage
- 1 egg, beaten for wash
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl sift flour, salt, baking powder and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend.
- Stir in mayonnaise and add water.
- Add ½ cup shredded cheese and garlic to batter; knead until combined.
- Roll dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Lightly flour dough if sticky.
- Place one link fully cooked sausage in 1 whole green chili and repeat for the remaining green chili peppers.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Place one stuffed green chili pepper on 1 part of dough and add shredded cheese.
- Add an extra link sausage if desired.
- Wrap 1 part dough around the entire chili and sausage.
- Repeat with remaining divided dough and chilies.
- Place on baking sheet or baking stone and brush with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and dough is cooked all the way through.