Serves: 10 servings
- 2 cups purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp orange rind grated
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ Tbsp Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend
- ¼ cup butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate thawed
- ¾ Tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 3 cups navel oranges sectioned
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chopped
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- ⅔ cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, orange rind, baking soda and Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend in a large bowl.
- Cut butter in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl, combine water, juice concentrate and vanilla.
- Add juice mixture to the flour mixture, stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and lightly knead 5-6 times.
- Let dough stand for 10 minutes.
- Gently pat dough to ½ inch thickness with floured hands.
- Cut dough into 10, 2-inch squares.
- Place dough squares onto prepared baking sheet.
- Combine 1 tsp water and egg white.
- Brush egg white mixture over dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- To serve, split the shortcakes in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
- Spoon about ¼ cup fruit mixture over the bottom half of shortcake.
- Top fruit with 1½ Tbsp whipped cream and 1 Tbsp toasted coconut and dash of grated orange peel. Top cream and coconut with top half of shortcake.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 254 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 6g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 41g Sugar: 19g Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 17mg
expired domains .